Suffering with ulcerated colitis, sharp stabbing abdominal pain, pulling sensation, pain on sneezing, bending forward. Treatment?

i suffer with ulcerated colitis the last 48 hours have been experiencing sharp stabbing pains around my belly button and a pulling sensation hurts more when i sneeze or bend forward and have a tender point on my left hand side
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 7 hours later

Thanks for posting your query!

Given the fact that you already have a history of ulcerative colitis, it is possible that you are suffering from a flare up of the disease. Any increase in abdominal pressure (bending forward, sneezes) movements increase the pain. These flare ups are usually treated with corticosteroids and aminosalicylate drugs such as mesalazine, olsalazine, sulfasalazine. An injectable drug is a good alternative for faster healing. So you may visit the local / treating doctor for faster relief. A few investigations like Ultrasound abdomen, blood counts and urinalysis are routinely performed.

Immunosuppressants such as azathioprine, ciclosporin or infliximab are used in severe cases. These are prescription drugs and can be obtained on prescription from your treating doctor. You can discuss these with your treating doctor if you have frequent flare ups.

It is also important to take a nutritious and balanced diet. It would be advisable to avoid the following food products as they can aggravate the flare ups: cabbage/sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli, sweet corn, mushrooms, high XXXXXXX fibre items - such as wholemeal bread, and high fibre cereal, raw onions, tomatoes, soya protein, cheese or cream.

I hope I answered your query. Please accept if you have no further questions.
Follow-up: Suffering with ulcerated colitis, sharp stabbing abdominal pain, pulling sensation, pain on sneezing, bending forward. Treatment? 37 hours later
Have seen two doctors one stated not appendisitis yet, the other stated he didn't know but if the pain continued to go back in a weeks time and he would organise a scan, since my second visit i have been sick once have a dull pain now on my right side but still getting the stabbing puling pains around navel area and my tummy feels tender tonight although i have eaten i can only explain the pain is like when you are so hungry and you feel sick.......... i am worried and have just finished 5 years on azathioprine which ended 4 months ago
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 8 hours later

Thanks for reverting!

The stabbing pain around your navel could be due to a flare of inflammatory bowel disease, infection, appendicitis and a host of other reasons. A flare up is likely since you stopped azathioprine 4 months ago. Since you continue to have the stabbing pain around your navel, I suggest that you go and see a gastroenterologist who could thoroughly evaluate you and conduct the necessary tests.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further questions.