Suffering with slight mood swings, cannot focus at times. Was on RSP. Is it cause of concern?

Psychiatrist
Question
hello ama 37 yr old male 175
i am or have been since i was a kid, not able to keep focused at times and also do not complete tasks, i tend to have or act on impluse most of the time and i have slight mood swings. I also tend to get board easy while i was in school. and while i went back to school. i also was in RSP when i was a kid. to help me focus and get my grades back up.
Posted Tue, 14 May 2013 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

From the description of your problems, there could be two possible causes - one is an attention deficit disorder (ADD), and another a learning disability. Attention deficit disorder (ADD), also known as ADHD, is characterized by 3 clusters of symptoms - 1) inattention 2) hyperactivity and 3) impulsivity, and there can be varying proportions of symptoms from each cluster. Learning disability can also cause problems with task completion and academic performance, and children with LD can often have associated behavioural problems or mood disturbances.

If these symptoms are still continuing to persist and if they are causing you social / occupational dysfunction, then you need to take professional help. You will first need a detaild psychological assessment (which will include specific psychological tests, clinical rating scales, etc.) to arrive at a correct diagnosis, so that appropriate treatment can be initiated. So, I would advise you to consult a psychiatrist in your area for a detailed assessment and further management.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist