Suffering with pertussis cough. Not cured by azithromycin antibiotic. What treatment should be done?

My son is 8yr old . He suffering with pertussis cough from 24th sept 2012 till date almost 16 days completed .. and already given the medicine like azithromycin antibiotic ,,, three day dose of 5 ml from 2nd oct to 4th oct was given by Doctor ... but still the cough is not finished. How long cough it is , and how to treat this cough..?Is their any better solution for this cough
Whether Nebulisation is required in this case? If yes then with what type of medicine used in nebulisation. In this long duration of cough my son had sometimes loose motion and had pain in stomach so please suggest..
What precaution need to be take in the case of food like what to eat food / fruit / milk.?
is their any vaccination in this age for this kind of cough?
Please provide me details in brief .I waitng for your valuable reply.
Posted Tue, 30 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 50 minutes later
I am sorry to hear about your son. I would need a few details from you to be able to help you better. Has your son been immunized ( received vaccines)? If yes, which all vaccines has he received?
I would be able to comment on the rest of the questions more appropriately if I have this answer?
Awaiting your reply
Kindest Regards
Follow-up: Suffering with pertussis cough. Not cured by azithromycin antibiotic. What treatment should be done? 16 hours later
vaccination like triple .. till the age of 2 yr ..
3)Triple Polio

Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 3 hours later

Thank you for providing informations about the immunisations of your son. It is really sad that he got whooping cough. It is a harmful condition in younger babies when compared to older children.

The antibiotic Azithromycin is recomended to use for three days and has to be taken. Apart from Azithromycin, there are other antibiotics for treatment of whooping coughs e.g. Clarithromycin,
Erythromycine and Co- trimoxazole which can be used if symptoms do not improve. Discuss with his pediatrician if he needs further antibiotic.

Nebuliser or humidifier is also helpful for such cough. Plain saline or bronchodilator may be used here.

In addition he should be given normal food and with plenty of fluids.

Cough suppressant drugs should be avoided.

Discuss about these options with his paediatrician. He may need a detailed clinical examination and test such as chest X-ray before your doctor's decide to treat him further.

I understand his symptoms are worrying you, but do not worry - cough paroxysm will slowly regress.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have other concerns.

I wish your son to get speedy recovery.

Kindest regards