Suffering with pemphigus vulgaris. Having severe gastric problem after pulse treatment. Taking omnacortil and Aziron. Any side effect?

Hi Doctor,
My mother is suffering with pemphigus vulgaris for the past 3 years and we visited all the doctors and still suffering, could you please suggest some good doctor , few doctors suggested to take pulse treatment for 18 months but after taking pulse she is getting sever gastric problem so we stopped it. she is using omnacortil and Aziron , any side effects with the pulse or with medicine. how to cure this .Please suggest
Posted Tue, 12 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pemphigus vulgaris

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to healthcare magic.
Pemphigus vulgaris is a serious skin disease. It is an auto immune disease where body is attacking its own skin causing blisters. Steroids and immunosuppressants are the mainstay treatment. Compared to daily steroids pulse steroids has lower side effect profile. What gastric problem did she have ? If it is not a serious problem and if can be managed then I will recommend pulse treatment over daily steroids. Azathioprine is a steroid sparing medicine and it is effective as an adjuvant not as a main treatment. Side effects should be expected with long term steroid treatment like diabetes, hypertension, bone weakening and infections. But without steroids pemphigus can become lethal. So frequent monitoring of sugars, BP, Blood counts, urine etc is important. Also calcium supplements are required.
You can search for a healthcare magic elite panelist dermatologist in your locality.
Hope this helped
I will be happy to answer any further clarifications