Suffering with migraine headache, temporary relief with medicines. Appropriate treatment?

Excellent

Question
Doctor,
It is about Migraine Head ache.
My wife is suffering from Migraine headache more than 10 years. I have consulted some doctors, they gave some pain killers and it was only temproary relief and there is no medicine as such.
Could you please let me know if there any kind of treatment available now. What can we do to prevent this headache.

XXXXXX
Posted Wed, 5 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 25 minutes later
Thanks for posting this query.

Migraine may present with headache for more than seventy-two hours and is often associated with vomiting, dizziness and visual problems and is often spread on half the head from forehead till the back of the head.

For such headaches, your wife should try these lifestyle modifications:

1)     Go to sleep and wake up at the same time each day. Do not skip any meals and she should try to find out foods which may be acing as triggers.

2)     Exercise regularly (daily if possible) and limit stress through regular exercise and relaxation techniques. Yoga and meditation will also help.

3)     Avoid bright or flashing lights and wear sunglasses if sunlight is a trigger.

4)     Identify and avoid foods that trigger headaches by keeping a headache and food diary and limit caffeine consumption to less than two caffeine-containing beverages a day.

5)     She can also try over the counter pain killers like aspirin or acetaminophen. If still the symptoms persist, then please consult a physician for specific anti-migraine therapy (triptans and ergot preparations).

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Suffering with migraine headache, temporary relief with medicines. Appropriate treatment? 13 hours later
Doctor,

We closely monitored the symptom and all times it is not the same reason. It is very difficult for us to prevent it.
Some time back the frequency was once in 2 weeks and now a days the frequency was almost 2 times in a week.
That is the reason for checking with you, and which kind of specialist should I consult for Migraine?

Thanks
XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 25 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

The typical attacks of migraine last for 4-72 hrs but duration is not the only criteria for defining migraine.Moreover recurrent attacks can occur in one week.

Despite medical advances, migraines can be difficult to treat. Migraines can be treated with 2 approaches: abortive and preventive.
Abortive treatment includes triptans(sumitriptan,naratriptan etc.), Ergotamine tartrate (Cafergot), Dihydroergotamine (D.H.E. 45 Injection, Migranal Nasal Spray) and narcotics(butalbital, Acetaminophen and codeine).

Preventive treatment includes medications used to treat high blood pressure(Beta-blockers(propranol),calcium channel blockers (verapamil), Antidepressants(Amitriptyline ,nortriptyline, Antiseizure medications etc.

Sometimes we use a combination of medicines. You should consult a neurologist and get these medicines prescribed for your wife.