Suffering with loose motion and vomiting. What treatment should be done?

Hi i am suffering with loose motions from past three days .I am 24 years and i had a vomiting last night .After eating food i am going for more than 5 times to bathroom .My stomach is making burps
Posted Fri, 30 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Kappan 1 hour later

You may be suffering from Gastroenteritis. With loose motion and vomiting, you are losing a lot of fluid and essential electrolyte salts (Sodium and Potassium) from your body resulting in dehydration. If you are already dehydrated, you have to seek medical help; visit the emergency room / the nearest hospital.

The lost fluid and electrolytes needs to be replaced at the earliest to avoid dehydration. I suggest you to follow the below measures:

1. First, you need to replace the lost fluids. Oral rehydration salt (ORS) is easily available in your nearest pharmacy. Take them with glass of warm water. Drink sufficiently.
2. Take probiotics like Tablet Sporolac/ Vizylac - one tablet thrice daily for 3 days. This will improve the condition.
3. Drink plenty of fluids. Fruit juices, coconut water and other fluids can be taken. They are beneficial.
4. Anti-vomiting drugs like domperidone are prescription drugs that can be taken under the guidance of your nearest doctor. They will be helpful in preventing vomiting. Please see your nearest doctor for a prescription if vomiting is severe.

Usually with the aforementioned measures, the symptoms improve in a day or two. If symptoms persist, you will need a stool test and a brief course of antibiotic based on the stool report. Watch out for symptoms such of fever and blood and mucous in stool too.

You can avoid most of the infections through food by proper hand washing before and after food.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.