Suffering with itching all over body. What could be the cause? Suggest some cure

Ok...........have been suffering for several months with a total body itch that so far has no known cause. There is no rash or hives etc.the itch is under my skin and effects my whole body except, so far my feet. I did have a recent bout of kidneys stones but no Dr feels this is related. Doesn't seem like it would be an allergic reaction because nothing has changed in my environment or lifestyle. Only thing that has shown up so far on tests is a low white cell count. It is all consuming and of course endlessly itchy especially at night.
Posted Mon, 30 Jul 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
I do understand your predicament and in fact, generalized itching without a cause is common in slighter older people.
The kidney stones dont seem to be related but as far as the allergies are concerned, I wouldnt rule that out since you can become allergic to anything at any point in life ( even if you tolerated it well earlier). To rule this out, we would want a serum IgE level.
Also, I would like to know if any tests have been done for you recently? If yes, what were the reports?
Till then, I would suggest the following:
Avoid itching that area as much as possible. Scratching only leads to more itching and this becomes a vicious cycle.
Wear clothing that allows your skin to breathe. Avoid wool
Use lukewarm water for bathing and put 2-3 tsp oil in that. Avoid using a strong or scented soap
Put on a moisturizer when the skin is still damp.
Avoid prolonged exposure to excessive heat and humidity.

Awaiting your reply