Suffering with hemorrhoids at the anal entrance, occasionally get blood in stools. Is bleeding due to hemorrhoids?

General Surgeon
I have hemorrhoids. I believe they were found to be right at the anus entrance. I believe the doctor at that time told me they were very noticeable. Once in a while I get a small amount of blood with my stool. Just a drop or 2 is all. Is this bleeding most likely due to my hemorrhoids?
Posted Fri, 7 Jun 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Hemorrhoids are the most common reason of bright red blood in the stool. Such blood is on the surface of the stool and on the toilet paper. With hemorrhoids, you can also have itching around the anus. Some lumps can be visible in the anus (not necessarily).

So your blood drops are most likely due to hemorrhoids. However blood in stool can also appear due to large intestine diseases (polyps or cancer). The risk of colon cancer is significantly higher over the age of 50. That is why every person older than 50 should have colonoscopy every 10 years (or fecal occult blood test every year).

10 years rule does not apply if any symptom (like constipation, blood in stool, weight lost appears). That is why, over the age of 50, every blood in stool should be also checked with colonoscopy.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.