Suffering with gout after laminectomy and laparotomy. Can I work as the normal person?

Question
Sir, I underwent laminectomy because of dislocation of facet joint of D12 and L1.
Secondly L1 wedge compressive with parepresis of both lower limbs.
Thirdly, right Calcaneum.
Sir, I was opreated laminectomy and laparotomy an year and half back.
I want to know if I can work as normal persons as I'm not able to sit or stand sleep for more than 15 minutes in one posture and I'm suffering with gout in the right leg ankle region since surgery?
Posted Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

Any person who underwent Laminectomy or any spine surgeries is advised not to sit or stand up suddenly, not to squat and not to lift heavy weights for a minimum of two years.This may weaken the repaired site in the spine and lead into deformation or recurrence of the problem.

Other daily works can be performed without any complications. Care has to be taken to avoid any works which involves lifting of weights. The improvement will be gradual.

I would like to know what was the condition for which you underwent the Laprotomy. Also I would like to know what was the condition you were mentioning about the right calcaneum. So, I may be able to understand your situation better and then advise.

Also you may have to consult a Orthopedician to manage the gout in the ankle you mentioned. The pain in the joint can cause you to limp which is not good for the spine.

Waiting for your response,

Follow-up: Suffering with gout after laminectomy and laparotomy. Can I work as the normal person? 3 hours later
Thank you for the concerned response. Sir, I was opreated for laminectomy and laparotomy an year and half back as fell down on to ground from the second floor of my office. Sir, as you very well know, laminectomy was for dislocation of facet joint of D12 and L1 & L1 wedge compressive with parepresis of both lower limbs.

And Laparotomy for Post adhesions & small intestinal obstructions. Plz help out to know if the rods and screws can be removed atleast after 2 years.

Plzz help me out sir.

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 14 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

It takes a minimum of 2 to 3 years to consider the plan for removal of the plates and the screws. A series of x-rays and physical examinations would be essential to decide whether or not the vertebrae are fused and removal of the plates would be safe.

Many factors like age, nutrition status, the extent of the injury, etc., determine the time taken for the vertebrae to fuse and to consider the removal of plates. If the plates are removed earlier then it may cause complications like Pseudoarthrosis which may cause recurrence of the nerve compression.

As I mentioned in my previous posts you can perform daily activities without any complications. Weight lifting, squatting, sudden standing or sitting should be avoided.

Hope this is helped. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
Please close this discussion if all your queries are answered.