Suffering with gooey eyes, sore throat and fatigue. On nasonex for allergic rhinitis. Any cure?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
For the last few days I have been suffering with gooey eyes, sore throat and fatigue. Yesterday I woke extremely puffy around the face and eyes, sore red eyes which it rites my contacts, ear ache, body aches, pain on the bridge of my nose and struggled to stay awake at work. I use Nasonex every day for allergic rhinitis which relieves the nasal pain. Is it just a cold or do I need to go and get more antibiotics?

Thank you in advance
Posted Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
The symptoms you have described are likely to be related to a generalized viral infection. Usually viral infections will subside on their own within a week or two unless they get complicated.

You can do steam inhalation for relief. Keep well hydrated with plenty if warm fluids and especially fruit juices.

For symptomatic relief you can take acetaminophen/ Tylenol round the clock.
Keep warm, avoid exposure to cold as this could aggravate the problem.

Eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Eat high protein diet like cereals, pulses, chicken, lean meat, eggs.

You can take cough suppressants if there is cough along with sore throat. Also if yellow colour sputum or shortness of breath develops then you may need to consult with your Doctor.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.