Suffering with eustachian tube dysfunction. Ear popped left a buzzing noise. On nasonex and amitriptaline. Advise?

ENT Specialist
eustachian tube dysfunctioni have been suffering with eustachian tube dysfunction since December 2012. my right ear popped on 23 january 2013 which left a buzzing/ringing noise which changes in volume and tone. I still gace cracking/popping going on and was wondering if this ringing will subside in time. it us starting to drive me crazy and I am at my wits
end. I am on nasonex and amitriptaline to help me sleep. I really need advice I sm only 30 and do not want to have to live with the noises all my life never had any problems with my ears before. Please help. will this eventually go.
Posted Sun, 19 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 4 hours later

Thanks for writing to H.C.M. for your query.

I have gone through your query regarding eustachian tube dysfunction started in XXXXXXX 2013 and developed popping in ear. Later there appeared buzzing sound, which is still persisting.

I am suspecting as you are having some other problem as secretory otitis media or Adehsive otitis media along with eustachian tube dysfunction. Therefore you are adviced for these investigations-

(a) Pure tone audiometery.

(b) Impedance audiometery.

By the help of these two investigations and a thorough examination of ear, nose and throat one can diagnose the real problem of ear and also the possible reasion for such a prolong eustachian tube dysfunction than only the treatment may be plan. In the meanwhile you may take-

(1) Steam inhalation.

(2) Mucolytic and anti histaminic.

I hope by above advice you will be benefited.

Follow-up: Suffering with eustachian tube dysfunction. Ear popped left a buzzing noise. On nasonex and amitriptaline. Advise? 28 minutes later
I have been to see an ent doctor and he said I have hearing checked which was all normal. I have tried many things and nothing seems to be easing this ringing. am I likely to have the ringing now as I never had this before and has only stemed off from having eustachian tube dysfunction. I also suffered from ottitis media with effusion which I think has cleared. what is a pure tone audiometery and an impedance audiometery. I had tests done at ent for hearing and all was fine
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 16 minutes later
Welcome back in H.C.M.

If your all hearing tests are nomal and only eustachian tube dysfunction is there and persisting for such a long period than Grommet should be put in your ear drum. This will correct the negative pressure in the middle ear and buzzing will disappear. You may consult your ENT doctor for the same, but in these three months if you have developed some sensory neural hearing loss (which may be diagnosed by Pure tone audiometery) than after this grommete insertion buzzing will remain there but of minimal type.

Follow-up: Suffering with eustachian tube dysfunction. Ear popped left a buzzing noise. On nasonex and amitriptaline. Advise? 34 minutes later
according to my results from hearing test it was all within the normal range. I am a bit feared of getting grommets as have heard so many things about them more bad than good. do u think that the etd problem could have caused permanent damage as I have only had this ringing due to this and never experienced thus before the etd problem. I am just frightened that I am having to live with this then rest of my life. what do u mean of a minimal type? I have various levels which change on a daily basis 24/7 which never goes away. is this normal for etd to be there 24/7. sorry to ask so much
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 3 hours later

Welcome back.

I would like to tell you that whenever tinnitus remaines for long time it gradually and gradually develops heard of hearing, because of buzzng patient most of the time can't know that he is having comparitively less hearing in effected ear. This buzzing sound has the masking effect and once the audiological tests are done the picture becomes clear. Whatever reports you are having they all are about three months old and in these three months what developments has taken place is more important in your case.

My opinion is that real cause of your tinnitus should be find out, if still it is eustachian tube dysfunction are-

(a) Persistant sore throat.

(b) Sinusitis, Deviated nasal septum, Perineal allergic rhinitis.

(c) Enlarge Adenoides.

(d) Nasopharyngeal neoplasm.

So in your case it is very important to diagnose the cause of tinnitus and than to manage it.

I think you should checked yourself by IMPEDANCE AUDIOMETERY this is very simple test to tell about eustachian tube function. At the same time if you repeat your PURE TONE AUDIOMETERY than whole thing will be clear for future line of treatment.