Suffering with dry cough for years. Blood work, CT normal. Advise?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Dear Sir,

My wife last three years suffering dry cough I have done all medical test report is normal. as well as blood,citi scan & others so please consult & give me advise very urgently.
Posted Fri, 15 Jun 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 4 hours later
Hello ,
Considering your wife 's clinical condition and reports the following conclusions can be drawn,
1. She has significant enlargement of XXXXXXX cervical ( neck )lymph nodes which needs further evaluation .
2. She has a apparently normal CT chest , thus the cause of the cough is more likely due to throat irritating lesion rather than a lung disorder .
The cause of such large( >10 mm), XXXXXXX lymph nodes are usually due to any inflammatory ( tuberculosis etc)or malignant lesion in the neighbouring face and neck organs like nasopharyngeal cancers,mass in thyroid gland , inflammatory or infective conditions of oral cavity and throat.
Since your wife has a history of thyroid disorder , that could be the most probable cause however confirmation by thyroid scans , and lymph node biopsies might be required.
The exact cause can only be found after a complete evaluation of the patient by a ENT specialist or oncosurgeon. Sometimes if the problem is long standing and doctor suspects any risk of cancer then he might order a diagnostic dissection and histopathologic testing of the lymph nodes for confirmation of diagnosis.
Whatever the cause , thyroid or any mass lesion , the cough can be difficult to suppress by medicines alone if the origin is due to irritation and compression of nerve.
The treatment will be mainly treating the cause , hence I would advise you to consult a Ear nose throat surgeon for further examination,investigation and management .
Hope I have answered your query .
Wishing you both good health.