Suffering with cough, not able to breathe. Told to be allergy. Suggest?

ENT Specialist
I am not suufferring with any health problem.But I start coughing that to without any reason. Sometimes I cogh in such a way that I am not able to breath also. For this once I went to doctor also, and he told that I have allergy. But sometimes b drinking water, or while working in office I start coughing. Please sugest any remedy for this.
Posted Thu, 17 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
VL'Scopy, Tests & medication as below, bland diet

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. Get a videolaryngoscopy (VL'Scopy) done. A common reason for such type of cough is lymphoid hypertrophy in the throat and a Post Nasal Drip.

2. Any other abnormality can also be ruled out during a VL'Scopy. Chronic laryngitis, congestion due to acid reflux and other rare causes can be seen.

3. Other tests such as a blood test for eosinopilia, chest X-ray, Lung Function Tests, sputum examination x 3 consecutive days and review of any medication must be done.

4. If you can upload the VL'Scopy images and test results, I will be able to advise further treatment.

5. In the meanwhile, you may request your doctor to start an anti-allergic, cough suppressant (such as Syp Ascoril-D or Syp. Reswas twice a day), steam inhalation, a medicated gargle (such as Betadine or Tantum), an anti-reflux medication and lozenges. In addition a bland diet, avoiding pollution and air conditioning will help decrease the cough.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.