Suffering with cold, have pain while swallowing, ear pain. Medicines?

ENT Specialist
Hi Doctor,

I am having cold and seems like infection has gone to my ear. It pain a bit when I swallow anything. Apart from this, I also generally have a bit of pain in my ears, while I scratch it not normally. Could you please help me with any basic medication to solve this health issue. I have been facing this pain on and off now since 6 months. It is not severe but I am worried why it pains. I do not have any hearing problems.
Posted Mon, 10 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. Request your doctor to prescribe an anti-allergic decongestant and mucolytic. Steam inhalation and a medicated gargle may help.

2. Decongestant nasal drops containing Xylometazoline are available OTC. You may use these in the short term, but not for more than a few days. After the cold subsides a steroid nasal spray may help in the long run.

3. Get a Tympanometry ( impedance Audiogram) done. You may share the result here for further treatment options.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.