Suffering with chronic back pain. Took treatment. Any problem with lumber spine?

Orthopaedic Surgeon

For years I have suffered with chronic back pain L3, L4, L5, disc has gone in L4 and damage in both knees, the bursal sac becomes inflamed, ankles, the right sight is worse. I am walking differently one leg longer than the other. Yes, I have had extensive treatment, not surgery yet. When the accident happened, two specialist were considering fusing the lumber spine and it was considered to risky. The spine is off balance leaning on the right and causing a flow on effect into my hips and knees then ankles. Will surgery in the back correct the problems and stop the pain and suffering once and for all. I have been told that the back or spine is causing the problems with my knees.

Thank you XXXXXXX

Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
The problem in your back is not necessarily causing the pain in your knees. The bad posture that you are having due to the disc prolapse will definitely improve after the spinal surgery.
An MRI of the knee joints will help in detecting the exact pathology. If the difference in the leg length is corrected after back surgery then your knee pain will improve. Pain killers and regular physiotherapy after the spinal surgery can help you in leading a functional lifestyle.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.