Ask a Urologist   »  

Suffering with balanitis, diabetic. Medication?

I am suffering with balanitis,i am diabetic,please provide me the medication i should follow,
Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 42 minutes later

Thanks for asking.

Balanitis is inflammation of the glans penis more common among the diabetic population.

Patients with balanitis usually present with the following complaints:

Penile discharge
Pain or difficulty with retraction of foreskin
Difficulty urinating or controlling urine stream (in very severe cases)
Inability to insert a Foley catheter
Tenderness and erythema of the glans penis
Systemic symptoms such as fever and nausea are uncommon

Patients presenting with balanitis but without phimosis should receive the following recommendations and treatment:

*Gentle retraction of the foreskin daily and soak in warm water to clean penis and foreskin.

*Obtain a culture of discharge in complicated cases such as those with associated cellulitis, then treat empirically with appropriate antibiotics (typically first-generation cephalosporin).

There seems to be some fungal infection ( candidiasis ) in the pictures you have sent, so you need to apply some clotrimazole oint. as well.

Control of diabetes is imperative, without proper control this condition can not be treated.

Please let me know if you need further information.