Ask a Dentist   »  

Suffering with aortic stenosis, Took medicines for tooth abscess. Chances of endocarditis?

Hello, I am a 70 year old female with mild to moderate aortic stenosis. I have recently had a dental abscess - front top tooth - which has now been extracted and remainder of teeth cleaned. I was put on 500mg amoxicillin tds four days before treatment and for three days afterwards. My question is how at risk am I of contracting endocarditis. I am extremely worried about this possibility.
Posted Sat, 25 May 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 36 minutes later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The American Heart Association released guidelines in 2007 regarding the use of prophylactic antibiotics before dental procedures to reduce the risk of endocarditis.
The guidelines state that antibiotics be given to persons with the following: (1)persons with a prosthetic heart valve (2) history of previous infective endocarditis (3)some forms of congenital heart disease (4)valve problems after heart transplant (5) any procedure involving the gingival tissue or certain areas of the teeth.

The association also states that the antibiotics should be given half hour to an hour before the procedure.

Because your abscess would have likely involved the gingival tissue then your use of antibiotics was appropriate.

The guidelines were changed from the first one which previously used the antibiotics in more persons because the researchers determined that there was little evidence showing that they reduced the chances of infection in persons at risk. The fact is that all persons are exposed daily with bacteria in the mouth due to brushing, flossing.

The fact that you had the antibiotics 3 days prior would mean that you are more than adequately covered and should be fine.

Your risk is minimal because you were covered.

If you experience any symptoms that concern you , you can consider visiting your doctor .
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Suffering with aortic stenosis, Took medicines for tooth abscess. Chances of endocarditis? 3 minutes later
What sort of symptoms should I be looking for and how soon would they appear.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 12 minutes later

Infective endocarditis would present with fever, chills, loss of appetite, weight loss,headaches, muscle aches and pains, night sweats, shortness of breath, cough, joint pain, chest pain.

They would present within 2 weeks of the procedure

Please feel free to ask any other questions