Suffering with PCOS, on meprate, have not got periods yet. Help?

Mar 2016

Hello doctor, I am suffering from pcos and have irregular periods I took meprate 1 tab per day for 5 days , however later got to know that it should be taken twice a day. Its been 4 days now I have stopped and still I did not get my periods . I am really tensed, should I take more of meprate as pms is really troubling me.kindkyhelp I want my periods asap
Posted Sun, 26 May 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. S Patra 31 minutes later
Hello Friend,

Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comment regarding your query.

MEPRATE is a synthetic progestogen (Medroxyprogesterone Acetate) which is structurally similar to natural progesterone.

It is quite effective in re-programming of normal menstrual cycle in case of PCOD or other reasons and used for abnormal uterine bleeding or irregular cycle not due to organic pathology in suitable doses.

Gold standard treatment of PCOD is low carbohydrate diet, weight reduction or control of body weight by regular physical exercise and supportive medication.

You should take Meprate Tab 10 mg twice daily for another 5 days to induce your period. You will get your period within 7 days of stop taking the medication. If you do not get it in this time, you should consult with your gynecologist for relevant investigation & take suggestive measures accordingly.

Therefore, it is not favorable to stop above said medicine until you conceive or your treating doctor suggest.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish your good health & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen.
Follow-up: Suffering with PCOS, on meprate, have not got periods yet. Help? 1 hour later
Thanks for your suggestion doctor, however I wanted to know if instead of meprate can I have regestrone tablets as when I was havng meprate it led to diziness, weakness n nausea in d morning.however I was going through the prescriptions and was suggested regestronein XXXXXXX 2013 wen I faced similar problem of irregular n delayed periods. Moreover if one faces problem of pcos does that lead to problems in conception later. Kindly help
Answered by Dr. S Patra 3 hours later

Thanks for follow up query.

Yes, you can take Regestrone 5 mg twice daily for 5- 7 days to induce period instead of taking Meprate to reduce its side effects which you face mostly.

For regularization of period, you need to take combined OCP (Ethinyl estradiol & Cyproterone acetate) like Krimson-35 or Diane-35 for at least 3-6 months. It is to be taken as 3 weeks on for 21 tabs regularly and 1 week off to get your period. It has anti androgenic effect which helps to reduce acne, abnormal hair growth etc. This treatment protocol is widely used.

You may need to undergo some additional investigation like blood for LH/ FSH, testosterone & DHEAS, complete thyroid profile, blood sugar & prolactin level etc to rule out any other underlying causative factors. Supportive medication may be required.

In case of failed or resistant medical therapy, you can opt for laparoscopy to remove ovarian cyst. It helps to avoid side effects of hormonal medication.

PCOS is mostly associated with insulin resistance or hyperinsulinemia and tends to develop type-2 diabetes. Therefore, metformin (like Glyciphage) may be needed in addition to above medication to prevent the same. Periodic monitoring of blood sugar is also required.

The following measures are to be taken for healthy life style :

1) Take low carbohydrate healthy diet with iron supplements. Complete avoidance of salty/ fatty/ junk/ spicy food stuffs which are XXXXXXX in high calorie.

2) Try to avoid stress/ tension by yoga/ deep breathing/ meditation regularly (20-30 minutes).

3) Drink plenty of water and eat more green vegetables & fresh fruits.

4) Control body weight by regular physical exercise by means of running/ jogging/ treadmill etc.

5) Maintain personal hygiene. Always take a sound sleep with complete relaxation.

In case of PCOS, one can face problem in conception due to irregular ovulation or anovular cycle. Consult with your gynecologist for proper guidance and next line of management.

Hope it helps you much. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Be well and stay healthy.

Dr Soumen