Suffering shortness of breath, had quit smoking and exercising. Cause for breathing problem?

Question
I am suffering shortness of breath. * months ago I gave up smoking and this has been a gradual thing since then. I am exercising on a bicycle every second day. The shortness of breath occurs in waves, some days it is fine others it is not so good.
Posted Fri, 20 Sep 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 26 minutes later
Hi

Thanks for asking.

Breathlessness has many causes including the dysfunction of lungs and heart, but in your case it can be chronic obstrutive pulmonary disease due to your smoking history.

COPD ( Chronic obstructive Pulmonary Disease) occurs because of constant damage to the lungs and the surrounding fibrous tissue because of the smoking.The lings are not able to inflate fully especially during exercise and stress.

You need to undergo Xray of the chest along with Pulmonary function tests to reach the diagnosis.

Thanks.

Please let me know if you require further assistance.

Follow-up: Suffering shortness of breath, had quit smoking and exercising. Cause for breathing problem? 8 minutes later
Hi there, can this repair itself over time or is it permanent

Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Investigations

Detailed Answer:
Lungs have a great buffer so even if 20-30 % of the area is damaged, it can still work fine for most of the persons.

Damage itself is irreverisble,althogh if it is small it can be taken care of, Bigger damage needs medicines to control.

Follow-up: Suffering shortness of breath, had quit smoking and exercising. Cause for breathing problem? 29 minutes later
I am due to go to my Doctor in a couple of weeks time for my 2 monthly check up. I am already on heart, blood pressure, cholestoral, pain relief (for arthritis) pills so I guess a couple more wont harm me. I am not coughing up much phleem only a little in the morning. when I first stopped smoking my pipe at the beginning of the year I coughed up quite a lot of phleem which stopped after about 1 month. Should I ask him to book me in for a chest x XXXXXXX to see what the result is?

Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
X XXXXXXX is needed.

Detailed Answer:
X XXXXXXX chest in your case is definately needed, book yourself as soon as possible.Also see if you can do Pulmonary Function Test before you see your doctor as it will tell exacly the quantum of damage.

Follow-up: Suffering shortness of breath, had quit smoking and exercising. Cause for breathing problem? 2 days later
Hi there again, I have been taking Omeprazole 20mg tablets once daily for reflux. On reflection I started to get short of breath after I started these tablets which was only 4 months ago. Could this also be contributing to my problem as well. I see by the product review the drug can lead to respiratory problems in some cases. Should I stop taking these as well as having a chest x-ray. I value your advice. Many thanks

Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Highly Unlikely

Detailed Answer:
It is highly unlikely for omeprazole to cause shortness of breath, I do not think so you should be stopping the tablet.

Get the X XXXXXXX and the pulmonary function tests done as the odds for the COPD with smoking are very high in your case as against the omeprazole causing breathlessness.