Suffering hairloss. Have been on propecia. Started testosterone. Chances of side effect?

I am a 36 year old male and weigh 210 lbs . I have been taken propecia for 3 years . In the last 10 days i have just started taken Testosterone enanthate, in which i take 500mg every 5 days. My question is, will this effect the propicia from working or will the testosterone cancell the propecia out. Also I have noticed alot more hair in my comb, I was wondering whether this would be due to the effects of the testosterone, or does hair loss usually appear over prolonged usage. The amount of propicia i take is 1mg per day .
Posted Wed, 29 May 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 43 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Propecia prevents the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT) which plays a role in male pattern baldness.
DHT levels would decrease.Only about 5% of testosterone is normally converted to DHT but DHT is a very strong hormone.

DHT is the main male hormone that acts on the prostate and hair follicles. Testosterone is the main hormone that would influence sexual function though DHT would cause a reduction or change in some aspects of the semen but not enough to effect fertility.

Some persons do use testosterone replacement with propecia. The propecia would continue to block the conversion to DHT and in most persons the testosterone should not affect its use.
If you are experiencing problems with the use of both medications you may want to consider speaking to your doctor

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Suffering hairloss. Have been on propecia. Started testosterone. Chances of side effect? 36 hours later
Hi thanks for your initial response.

I was also wondering whether the drug proviron would effect the use of propecia ?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 8 hours later
Proviron is a DHT steroid compound so if it is used it would decrease the effectiveness of the propecia.
Propecia is to decrease the amount of DHT in the body and if you subsequently use a DHT compound like proviron then the propecia will not work well because you would just be increasing the levels of the same substance.

Please feel free to ask any other questions