Suffering from watery mouth. Unable to eat properly and lost weight. Suggest precaution to overcome the problem?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
hi , doctor my mother is 50yrs old and suffering from watery mouth since 1year for which she cant eat food properly and almost lost her weight due to this problem ....i requested you to suggest me a precaution to over come this ...
Posted Tue, 29 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be due to gastro esophageal reflux.

Detailed Answer:
Based on the description, I think she might be suffering from Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). In this condition stomach contents (food or liquid) leak backwards from the stomach into the esophagus (the tube from the mouth to the stomach) causing irritation of the esophagus, heart burn, watery feeling in the mouth and other symptoms.

She will need proton pump inhibitors for a week or two. Omeprazole is usually available over the counter and can be taken once a day before breakfast. Check with your pharmacist about its availability.

In addition, she also needs some strict life style modification like-

Avoid hot and spicy foods and beverages - they worsen symptoms.
Lose weight if needed.
Eat small but frequent meals at regular intervals.
Avoid lying down immediately after a meal. A minimum of 2-3 hours should be lapsed after a meal.
Raise the head of the bed 6 to 8 inches by securing wood blocks under the bedposts. Just using extra pillows will not help.
If the problem is persistent then it is best to consult a gastroenterologist for proper examination and further treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.