Suffering from viral fever and not interested in eating. How to feed the baby?

Re: My son, 17.5 months. Weight 12kg.
My son has been suffering from viral fever since the last 4 days and has been constantly having fever. We have been controlling it with crocin syrup. His fever is in a little control now but for the last 4 days my son has just had milk and is refusing to eat anything.
He's now getting weak and dull. All our efforts to have him eat anything fail. He just has about half a egg once.
I am in Canada right now and hence dont have access to a doctor physically. Please help and guide how can we have him eat anything or any substitute.
Posted Thu, 18 Oct 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 4 hours later
Its very important to understand that food and water is more important than medicines in a child who has fever. If the child doesnot take enough liquids by mouth, its likely that he may get dehydrated sooner and may start feeling weak and loose.
He may prefer to sleep if sugar content of body also starts getting down due to reduced diet. All these can be potential danger signs and may need hospitalization or intravenous fluids.
Now, the reason for not eating seems to be related to fever. Fever if not controlled in time, child will not be comfortable in eating or drinking. Crocin syrup may at times may be needed to be given 4-5 times a day for temporary remission so that child can have enough food.
In addition, your description suggests that fever is not having any focus like say cough, cold, ear ache, pain, redness, rash or gut symptoms. Often fever without focus if they are high grade and lasting more than 4 days, are also likely not to be viral and hence blood tests may be required to rule out danger signs.
Most viral fever have no specific drugs, so labeling a fever as viral doesnot get to a specific drug; but the treatment is only maintaining hydration and good urine out put 4-6 times a day; if this is compromised; child may not be easy to manage at home.
As he refuses to eat, i will advice not to force eating; as often kids have some throat discomfort in some viral fevers that causes difficulty in swallowing.
Give the child what child prefers, offer repeatedly small amounts; you may give wafers,noodles,butter slices , curds etc whatever goes in his stomach including juices and liquids will add to water content of body. On an average he should be taking around 1 litre of fluids in 24 hours to avoid dehydration.

I hope this answers your query. If any further queries, do not hesitate to write back.