Suffering from vertigo due to disorder of ear. Is it safe to take vertizac?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2012
Dec 2012

Question
Iam sufering fromVERTIGO due to dis order of middle ear.Is it advisable to take vertizac tablet every alternative day.What are the side effects if i take continuously
Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later

Thanks for posting,

Basically all medications have side effects which might be less serious or very serious, they might occur (usually in very minute proportions of people).
Lets take vertizac tablet particular which contains the active ingredients: Cinnarizine (20 mg) and Dimenhydrinate (40 mg) both as combination therapy for treatment of all forms of vertigo (irrespective of cause). Dosage recommended by manufacturer is 1 tablet three times daily, to be taken unchewed with some liquid after meals. Patients with severe renal impairment are not recommended to take the medication. Vertizac is contra-indicated in patients with known hypersensitivity to the active substances, diphenhydramine or other antihistamines of similar structure or to any of the excipients. It may cause drowsiness, especially at the start of treatment. Patients affected in this way should not drive or operate machinery. The most frequently occurring side effects are somnolence (including drowsiness, tiredness, fatigue, daze)
occurring in about 8% of patients and dry mouth occurring in about 5% of patients in clinical trials.
These reactions are usually mild and disappear within a few days even if treatment is continued. Other adverse effects are present.
Normally your doctor maybe aware of these effects and in any case if you develop any serious effects upon taking the drug, call your doctor immediately.

Thanks and wish you the best.
Dr Nsah

Follow-up: Suffering from vertigo due to disorder of ear. Is it safe to take vertizac? 11 hours later
Sir,whether the disease VERTIGO is curable by surgery to the ear.whether it is harmful to life

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 4 minutes later

Sorry I omitted that earlier. Normally to treat vertigo, the ear disorder must probably be diagnosed and treated medically or surgically. ENT specialist is better placed to get that done. If the ear disorder is not curable, then the vertigo will only have to be managed symptomatically, until a possible cause can be found.

Thanks for updating and wish you are better health.
If you are satisfied with my answer and do have further queries, please do accept my answer.
Dr Nsah

Follow-up: Suffering from vertigo due to disorder of ear. Is it safe to take vertizac? 0 minute later
Sir,Whether the disease VERTIGO is curable by surgery to the ear?Whether it is harmful to life?

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 3 minutes later
Vertigo is not a diseases on its own but a symptom of another diseases. It might be most probably due to the middle ear disorder diagnosed by your ENT specialist.

Dr Nsah

Follow-up: Suffering from vertigo due to disorder of ear. Is it safe to take vertizac? 3 minutes later
Thanq,sir for your sugestions.

You are welcome and I can be of help anytime you have a health problem, Just contact me through my profile.

Thank you
Dr Nsah