Suffering from vertigo, dizziness, anxiety. Diagnosed with Acute Vestibular Decomposition. Taking vertin. Any suggestion?

Dear Sir,
My Brother XXXXXXX XXXXXXX is diagnosed with Acute Vestibular Decomposition. He has consulted several doctors, neorologist and CMC Vellore Experts. He is suffering from Vertigo, Dizziness and psychiatric problem(depression, anxiety). Now Experts from Vellore has given him dosage on Vertin 48 mg once daily for 3 weeks. He has also been advised to take help of Neurologist for Posterior Third Ventricular Calcification but CMC has not given any medicine on that. He has also consulted Pshychitist and they have advised medicines for 6 months.
Please advise on this.

Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 5 hours later
Your brother seems to be suffering from vertigo due to problem in the vestibular (inner ear) system which is responsible for maintaining balance of our body. The most common cause is displacement of otoliths (very very small stones) within the vestibular organ. The medicine that he has been prescribed is usually effective for management of this condition. The dose also is adequate. Unfortunately there is no medicine which can cure it forever and repeated courses of it may have to be taken depending on the severity. If it is very severe then surgical treatment is advised, but surgery can cause deafness and so bets effort is made to avoid surgery and manage with medicines alone.
I see in the reports that his triglyceride is high. The CT brain shows atrophy which is not expected at this age and I would like to get a MRI scan of the brain done.
Hope that answers your query. if there are more questions I will be happy to answer.
Good luck.
Follow-up: Suffering from vertigo, dizziness, anxiety. Diagnosed with Acute Vestibular Decomposition. Taking vertin. Any suggestion? 41 hours later
Dear Sir,

Thanks for your reply. He has done MRI on 23rd Nov,12 in Kolkata INK Hospital where report revealed nothing, but CMC experts noticed Third Ventricular Calcification and also suggested on HRCT on temporal bone and take suggestion from Neorologist. Now as a laymen we don't understand HRCT on temporal bone and its significance and urgency at this moment. Whether we should again go for repeat MRI is also not clear. ENT specialists referred for re-visit after 3 months.

Attached is previous MRI Report.

Please suggest.

Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 6 hours later
Thanks for further information.
MRI being normal is reassuring. HRCT of the temporal bone is done to look at the XXXXXXX ear more closely. At the moment it may not be required. Also there is no need for repeat MRI. Third ventricular calcification is also not a cause of worry and it can be seen in normal scans. At the moment he can continue with the medications and vestibular exercises.
Good luck.