Suffering from vaginal itching and discharge. Is there any home remedy to prevent this?

vaginal itchingevery month a few days before, during and after my period i am experiencing vaginal itching. i have taken every test for sti's/stds and i am negative for all. i am sexually active and i am a lesbian. i wonder if that may have something to do with an ongoing imbalance in ph levels? last month when i experienced the same feeling i wondered if i was suffering from a yeast infection. right before i was about to begin using Monistat 7, the itching stopped and i was fine the rest of the month until about 3 days before my period began this month. also, i'm not experiencing any other yeast infection symptoms such as burning, discomfort and discharge. just the itching. i use only ivory soap. no douching, no tampons and i shower daily. on days i workout i shower twice daily. what can be the cause and how can i prevent it from developing into a yeast infection. are there home remedies i can adopt to ensure healthy ph levels each month and avoid this problem?
Posted Sat, 2 Mar 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
The itching in the vagina that you are having is likely to be due to allergic dermatitis.
It can be related to minor changes in the vaginal pH and flora.
You can take some general measures to avoid this-
1.Avoid wearing tight underwear or other tight acrylic garments everyday. Use loose fitting cotton underwear and panties. Avoid wearing jeans, legging, panty hose every day.
2.Stay away from deodorant sanitary pads and tampons.
3.Do not remain in wet clothes for a long time.
4. You can insert tampoons dipped in yogurt into your vagina twice a day. Be sure not to keep them inside for more than two hours.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.