Suffering from vaginal bleeding and endocervical polyp. Pelvic ultrasound done. What does the finding says?

May 2013
Hi - I have just received my scan results and would like some help to understand it please. I'm sorry but I sort of "zoned out" when the doctor went over it.

Clinical: Polymenorrhea. ? Endocervical polyp clinically.

Findings: TA and TV pelvic scans.

The anteverted uterus is normal in size measuring 7.5 x 4.9 x 4.7 cm.

There is an anterior fundal intramural fibroid measuring 4.37 x 4.2 x 4.96cm. This abuts the superior endometrium. The endometrium itself is thin and normal in texture measuring 4.9mm. Ther is an 8 x 5mm hypoechoic nodule close to the cervix suspicious for the polyp previous clinically seen.
Righ ovarian volum 5.7mls and left ovarian volume 5.1 mls. Normal follicular activity. 1.6cm complex cyst/follicle in the left ovary and a dominant 2cm simple follicle in the right ovary. No adnexal mass or free fluid.
4.9x4.7cm left fundal fibroid abutting the endometrium. The is an 8x5mm nodule in the region of the cervix ? Small polyp. Clinical correlation suggested.
Complex 1.6cm follicle in the left ovary. This could reflect a haemorrhagic follicle.

Should I be worried and what comes next? I'm only 46.

Thank you
Posted Tue, 6 Nov 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later
According to your ultrasound report you are having a fibroid and polyp sizes as mentioned.
These can be the causes for your menstrual irregularity.
The hemorrhagic follicle can be due to rupturing of ovarian follicle on process of releasing ovum.
That will subside soon usually.
As you are having symptomatic fibroid.
Age of 46 with family completed.
History of endometrial ablation, D&Cs etc.
You doctor may recommend hysterectomy as treatment of choice.

If you want conservative management you can go for polypectomy and medical treatment for fibroid.
But better option is hysterectomy as a permanent cure.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.