Suffering from urine urgency. Prescribed antibiotics. Guide

Hi I have started urinary urgency suddenly three weeks ago. After a weekend, I went to a doctor in the evening. He took a urine sample and did a dipstick test and said it is normal, but prescribed antibiotics. he also sent my urine sample for a culture. I took the antibiotic Cipro and the symptoms persisted after 3 days. The doctor said the urine culture is negative and said if the symptoms continue go to urologist. i asked for another 7 day antibiotic prescription. My symptoms improved by the weekend, but came back on monday. I went to a urologist and he did a dipstick, and ultrasound. he examined the prostrate. he said looks normal and said i might have overactive bladder.

But for some reason i think i have an infection. my questions are 1) does the tests are negative because i gave the urine sample in the evening and the bladder residence time was only 1 hour for the first test. 2) The second test I had the urine in the bladder for 4.5 hours and any false negatives due to the urine. 3) Can overactive bladder symptoms worsen, get better or worsen? I was having to wake up few times at night for quite some time. How do I know that these are not infections symptoms. The symptoms subside for a couple of days and come back again. I am not taking antibiotic now. I thought for some reason the antibiotic is suppressing and once I stop taking it the bacteria are growing back again.
Posted Mon, 17 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Early morning urine sample is the best and ideal sample. But this is theory. Most of the times this is not practically done.

A sample may not become negative just because it was collected at other times. But since it is only a urine examination there is no harm in repeating the same.

Infection symptoms are associated with burning sensation of urine, frequency, urgency. Some times fever may be present.

Get a second opinion if there is doubt regarding the diagnosis.

Continue to ask further queries as required.
Hope this helps.

Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty
Associate Professor of Pediatrics