Ask a Urologist   »  

Suffering from urinary track infection. Taking ciprofloxacin. How to get relief from pain?

Thank you for responding Dr. Grief. My husband is suffering from a urinary track infection that struck him today. He was given a prescription for Ciprofloxacin (for the infection) but nothing for the extreme pain. What can he do for that?
Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 1 hour later
Ciprofloxacin is usually a good drug for a take care of most domiciliary acquited infections within a day or two.
If your husband has pain while voiding urine, I suggest he improves his water intake if there is no advice to the contrary from a cardiologist. #-4 litres of water every 24 hours does help in washing out the bacteria from urine.
I really am not sure how you can get these drugs in XXXXXXX Fe, but to ease pain, we generally suggest that the patient take 1) Phenazopyridine 200mg tablet thrice daily for after food for 2 days. This is an orange pigment based tablet, and will cause the urine to be practically orange -red in colour, but usually that should not be an issue. 2) Flavoxate Hydrochloride 200mg tablet, to be taken thrice daily after meals for 2-3 days. 3) Alkaline Citrate syrup - 10-15ml to be diluted with a glass of water and to be taken after meals. This will alkalinze the acidic urine, and should help relieve discomfort. 4)If he has difficulty in passing urine, he might benefit from use of drugs called alpha-blockers like Flomax, but before using this, he should probably make sure of the status of enlargement of his prostate, and therefore should consult a Urologist who might do a digital rectal examination and suggest other tests like an ultrasound examination and uroflowmetry. A Serum Prostate specific Antigen test also might be needed but after the present episode of infection has resolved, else it might cause anomalous reports.
Hope I have been able to help you.