Ask a Urologist   »  

Suffering from urinary infection, routine test showed puss cell. Given norflox. Advise?

Sir,My age is 32 yrs and for last 20 odds days i have been suffering from urinary infections .I have done routine test earlier which showed puss cell 3-5 hpfand epithelial cell 2-4 Hpf After 20 days again i did the test as there was burning sensation during urniation and pain.The pain also stays for sometime .The medication i was given Norflox 400 .This time report showed trace of aLBUMIN,RBC -3-4 HPF and PUS Cell 3-4 hpf and crystal of cALCIUM Oxalate present.Please advise me how to go about the treatment.
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 24 minutes later

Thanks for asking.

You are having urinary tract infections, and some time it is very difficult to eradicate the infection especially if there is some source of infection persisting in the body.

Presence of calcium oxalate crystals and few red blood cells in the urine in the presence of difficulty to eradicate urinary infection point towards the possibility of urinary calculus.

I will advise you to go for a ultrasound of the kidney and the ureters to look for the stones, also you may need to go for urinary culture to see what antibiotics are needed to eradicate the infection from your body.

Please check your sugar levels also, just in case diabetes is contributing to the infection.

Thanks, Please let me know if you need further help.

Follow-up: Suffering from urinary infection, routine test showed puss cell. Given norflox. Advise? 41 minutes later
sir ,I have done culture where no bacteria found .There are some mild pain in my pennis due to this infections.The antibiotics i am taking is NORFLOX 400 mg and Neeri should i continue till i do my KUB -uLTRASOUND.Will it give me some reliefor should i change my medicines .please advise.
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 6 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

I think you should repeat the culture.

All are the indications are of a urinary tract infection and the culture should determined the same..

You can take some urine alkalysing agents to give symptomatic relief along with antibiotics.