Suffering from typhoid fever. Not cured by cefpodoxime 200 mg, paracetamol and ofloxacin. Concerned

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
hi i am XXXXXXX from India. My wife is suffering from Typhoid fever from last 6 days. She is being given Cefpodoxime 200 mg. twice daily along with Paracetamol and Ofloxacin. For the first 3 days she was showing good improvement but from yesterday she is having high grade fever continuously. Kindly advise
Posted Sun, 7 Oct 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Please do not worry.
Your wife is suffering from the typical fever present in typhoid infection.
It is common for the patient to get high fever upto 104 F mainly in the second week of illness . Such fever might be not much controlled by antipyretics like paracetamol .
However it is likely to resolve in the third week or after 14 days of onset .
The treatment going on is appropriate and you may take the following measures in addition to help her cope with the illness .
1. Give her plenty of water and other fluids ( ORS, juices , soups etc)
2. Give her a soft digestible diet khiccdi , vegetable with rice dal , idli etc
3. You may ask your doctor for prescribing stronger antipyretic like ibuprofen with paracetamol or mefenamic acid in case the fever is uncontrolled .

Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.
Wishing her a speedy recovery.