Suffering from trichotillamania. Is eating hair and swallowing it going to harm the growing fetus?

May 2013
is eating hair and swallowing it going to harm my growing fetus, I have had trichotillamania for over 20 years, very worried ! had a miscarriage on my first try because the baby stopped growing and there was no heartbeat.
Posted Thu, 12 Jul 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

-Trichotillomania can increase cortisol production,

-Which can cause pregnancy induced hypertension in mother and related problems in baby like growth retardation, placental insufficiency,
The cortisol can cross placenta and affect circulatory parameters of the baby also.

-It can also lead to activity disorders, poor self control etc to the baby in future.

-Maternal excessive stress can lead to lower IQ in the baby.
As you are already having one miscarriage, you have to be careful during this pregnancy.

So you consult your gynecologist discuss about this problem and if needed take support of psychiatrist in over coming this problem.
take support of your family members in also which will decrease your worry to some extent.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.