Ask a Dentist   »  

Suffering from tooth decay. Fitted cap. Not able to eat due to burning sensation. Prescribed Dentacain and Vitcofol. Suggest?

My son is suffering from tooth decay. All his tooth are cut and black in colour. Doctor have fitted cap where ever possible.
At present he is facing sensation problem on the tip of his tongue. He keeps on rubbing the tongue with a cloth the whole day. Due to this some times he is not able to have his food as it gives burning sensation.
We have visited the doc who say that the infection is due to the teeth. They have given one gel ( Dentacain mouth gel ) and tonic (Vitcofol). But there is no difference since last 15 days.
Kindly suggest how to procedure further. Also how to save the new tooth from getting infected as few of his tooth have fallen.
Which colgate he should use.
Posted Thu, 22 Aug 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 17 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

As you mentioned your child has got tooth decay & capping in many teeth. I would like to address this concern in two components,

1. I would like to ask whether he got pulpectomy done before capping.
He needs to go for complete oral examination to rule out any problem with his teeth to understand the cause of tooth decay.

2. Any decay tooth doesn't cause burning sensation & pain in tongue. The burning pain can be due to the following reasons:-
1. Canker sores
2. Cold sores
3. Dry mouth
4. Herpes
5. Oral thrush
6. Pernicious anemia

Hence, my opinion is that you need to consult a pedodontist & get his complete oral examination done. The doctor can also look for features of the aforementioned condition and plan treatment accordingly.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Take Care
Dr.Neha Sumra