Suffering from tonsilitis. Treatment?

I suffering from tonsil issue since 6-7 year.every month I am suffering from throat pain.

when throat pain comes i visit to local dr. he provide me normal medicine to avoid pain.

before 4-5 days i was suffering from throat pain now tonsil pain started once tonsil over after treatment cough will start as per my last 2 year history.

please suggest on same.
Posted Sun, 9 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 1 hour later
thanks for the query.

It is probably that you are suffering from recurrent tonsilitis. Tonsilitis is the inflammation of the tonsils. Tonsilitis is most often cause by viral infections as well as bacterial infections.

The tonsils are particularly vulnerable because the tonsils being an immune organ are the first to come in contact with foreign particles or germs and thus are exposed to the diverse viruses and bacteria that the body comes in contact by air-borne contamination.

Generally, the symptoms include throat pain, fever which could be high in case of bacterial infections, pains upon swallowing, headache etc. Without treatment, symptoms could resolve within a couple of days but with severe infection symptoms become progressive.

Treatment is specific depending on whether its bacterial or viral. The most common bacterial germ is Streptococcus which causes what is known as Strep throat. However, the majority of bacterial tonsilitis respond to simple antibiotics. Viral tonsilitis do not need antibiotics. Their treatment is symptomatic and require just pain killers etc.

In some people, it is possible to have pharyngitis ( inflammation of the pharynx including the tonsils) due to allergy. This is the case with people with family history of atopic dermatitis, asthma, hives etc. In such cases treatment consist of identifying the possible causes of the allergy and avoiding them and on use of antihistamine drugs such as chlopheniramine, cetirizine, desloratadine etc.

In recurrent severe cases of tonsilitis, tonsilectomy or surgical removal of the tonsils could be advised.

Hope this answers your query. If you have further query, i will be glad to help.
Best regards
Follow-up: Suffering from tonsilitis. Treatment? 4 hours later
thanks for valuable information

Should I proceed to remove tonsil??
Dr. also advised for remove but some dr. said it should not remove it.

Now I can’t eat even can’t drink due to pain in throat ,can I go for pain killer or need to be visit specialist ?
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 2 hours later
thanks once more for the query.

Tonsilectomy or surgical removal of the tonsils is indicated for recurrent tonsilitis. Recurrent tonsilitis is considered when;
-there are more than 6 episodes in the a year or
-more than five episodes each year in the past two years or
-more than three episodes each year in the past three years.
If your symptoms fall within this range, then you have an indication for surgery.

Hope this answers your query. If you do not have further query, you could close the discussion and rate the answers.

Best regards