Suffering from tinnitus. Looking for remedy

Kindly suggest me remedy for tinnitus of the right ear from which I have been suffering for the last one year.
Posted Sat, 25 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 1 hour later

Thanks for the query. Some more information like age, any co-morbidities like Diabetes/ hypertension will help out in coming to correct diagnosis. There are many causes for Tinnitus like-
1.     Exposure to loud noise
2.     Earwax blockage
3.     Ear bone changes i.e OTOSLEROSIS
4.     Age related hearing loss
5.     Acoustic neuroma
6.     Idiopathic- without any cause

There are many tests which might be helpful to come to a diagnosis like Audiological examination, imaging (CT/MRI).
Exact treatment will depend on the possible diagnosis.

Lifestyle and home remedies could be:
-Avoid possible irritants. Reduce your exposure to things that may make your tinnitus worse. Common examples include loud noises, caffeine and nicotine.
-Cover up the noise. In a quiet setting, a fan, soft music or low-volume radio static may help mask the noise from tinnitus.
-Manage stress. Stress can make tinnitus worse. Stress management, whether through relaxation therapy, biofeedback or exercise, may provide some relief.
-Reduce your alcohol consumption. Alcohol increases the force of your blood by dilating your blood vessels, causing greater blood flow, especially in the inner ear area.

Hope I answered your question. Kindly reply me if you have any further queries or any comments. I will be very happy to help you.
Dr Arif
Follow-up: Suffering from tinnitus. Looking for remedy 29 hours later
I am 50 years old. Not suffering from BP or diabetes. Treated by three different doctors with medicines like ginkgo biloba and others. The audio logical test showed 20% hearing loss which in subsequent tests showed substantial improvement. I normally drink four cups of tea per day & occasionally a cup of coffee. Do not drink. Do not smoke. Have a feeling of heaviness from jaw bone to upper side of the right ear. Please advice.
Thanks for the follow up query. I am happy to answer your question.
Presently I feel you need a Multidisciplinary Team Assessment:
Audiologist: Reviews and demonstrates sound therapy options for tinnitus relief
Dentist: Screens for specific dental problems that may be associated with the tinnitus
Neurologist: Screens for potential neck/cervical disorders that may cause or affect the tinnitus
Physical Therapist: Screens for problems associated with neck/spine, jaw or shoulder injuries, or strain caused by job requirements/daily postures
Psychologist: Assists you in understanding the mind-body connection with tinnitus, which is critical in overall management of the condition.
Management may include the use of sound therapy, bite modification, behavioral modification therapy and/or physical therapy. And I strongly suggest you get evaluated for your Jaw problem, that might be the cause of concern.I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. I would gladly help you.