Suffering from tinnitus. Are there any natural cures? Which specialist should I go for?

ENT Specialist
My son lives and works in Vietnam. He has developed tinitus a few months ago. He says that the doctors in Vietnam say they can't treat him. He is considering going to Hong Kong to get acumpuncture. Are there any natural cures that he can try? Has acumpuncture been used succesfully in treating tinitus? Which type of specialist would you recommend if he were to return to the US for treatment?
Posted Mon, 23 Jul 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. Get his Tympanogram done to check middle ear pressures and Eustachian Tube function. If this Impedance Audiogram is abnormal, then a trial of medication should be taken for three to four weeks.

2. Decreased hearing also makes one more aware of tinnitus. Get a PTA (Pure Tone Audiogram) done. If he has hearing loss, amplification may help mask the tinnitus. What is his exposure to occupational noise and loud music / earphones / mobile phones? Exposure to loud noise is also a leading cause for tinnitus. Tinnitus is not XXXXXXX in over 99% cases.

3. Acupuncture may improve (reduce) tinnitus, though here is no evidence of a cure. There is no harm in trying it out.

4. Common tinnitus therapy includes ginkgo biloba, multivitamins and antioxidants. If steroids do not control his Tinnitus and his middle ear is normal (no eustachian dysfunction), then you may try Transtympanic steroids or Caroverine (Tinnex) injectable or capsules under the supervision of an ENT Specialist.

5. Kindly let me know the results of his investigations. This will help in suggesting further treatment. I must emphasize that in a vast majority of patients of tinnitus, the cause is never found. However there are further treatment options depending on the type of tinnitus.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.