Suffering from tinea on hands. No improvement after medication. Any suggestion?

Good evening. My father is suffering from a skin disease - tinea (like 'daad' we call normally). He has got this on his hands. he has got patches and skin looks very dry in that patch. We've shown to a skin specialist and his treatment is going on since almost a month. In between doc has changed medicines also. but still it has not improved. Can you please suggest.
Posted Mon, 18 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later
Hello dear,
It might be a fungal infection, as thought by your doctor, but then it should respond to antifungal treatment.

As he is having thyroid problem, this dryness can be due to hypothyroidism also.
Usually tinea effects single hand or a particular part of body. It is rarely bilateral. And the lesions of tinea are itchy.

I would like to know,

Whether lesions are on both the hands?
Is he taking medication for thyroid?

Kindly reply back, this will aid me in helping you better.

Thank you
Follow-up: Suffering from tinea on hands. No improvement after medication. Any suggestion? 46 minutes later
Hi lesions are on both hands. He is taking his thyroid medicine daily.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 10 minutes later
Thanks for the revert.

If it is bilateral then chances of tinea is unlikely. In my view, it is probably due to hypothyroidism.

He needs a short course of topical steroids and lot of moisturizers, please discuss regarding this with your dermatologist.

Also please get his thyroid profile done; there might be requirement of increasing the dose of thyroid medicine.

Hope I answered your query.

Feel free to ask, if you have any doubts.

Thank you