Suffering from tight throat, feeling lump. Difficulty swallowing. Having headache and dizzy. What to do?

ENT Specialist
Question
Hi there, I am suffering with a 'tight' throat around voice box, not sore throat, feeling of a lump sometimes in the throat, not always. No pain or difficulty swallowing or eating. Headache and slightly dizzy?
Posted Mon, 10 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. There are different forms of acid reflux such as GERD (Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disease) and LPR (Laryngo-Pharyngeal Reflux) or Sinusitis with a PND (Post Nasal Drip) which may cause all the symptoms mentioned above.

2. Other possibilities are a cricopharyngeal muscle spasm which may also cause the 'tightness' in the throat. Dryness of the throat due to a PND, acid reflux or mouth breathing and snoring due ti nasal stuffiness at night are other common reasons. There are other rare causes, but these should be ruled out by your doctors.

3. Take an opinion of a local ENT Surgeon to rule out SInusitis and a Gastroenterologist for the treatment of acid reflux and any associated cricopharyngeal spasm.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Suffering from tight throat, feeling lump. Difficulty swallowing. Having headache and dizzy. What to do? 10 minutes later
Thank you for your suggestions. One thing I forgot to put on first question was that my glands are enlarged also.

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Swollen glands may be related to sinusitis.

2. Get a USG Neck (Ultrasound) to identify the exact location, size and number. If they are significantly enlarged, an FNAC (Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology) may be usefull.

3. A trial of antibiotics and supportive medication must be taken.

Regards.