Suffering from throat pain and ear pain. What could be the reason for pain?

ENT Specialist

I have a pain in my throat whenever I swallow something, even if it is water; otherwise my throat is not paining. When I feel this kind of pain I also have a little pain in my left ear. I feel more pain like this after straining my neck for a long time wahtching TV from a sofa. What could be the reason for the pain?
Posted Sun, 5 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 4 hours later

Thanks for posting the query

After going through the history, I do feel the cause of your throat discomfort could be due to either the posture maintained while sitting or lying on the sofa or acid reflux from the stomach into the throat.

The throat pain getting transferred to ear is because both the throat and the ear share a similar innervations.

Maintaining a wrong posture while sitting or lying on a sofa can make the cervical vertebra compress over the throat, causing pressure symptoms and inflammation of the throat mucosa. This inflammation can give rise to throat discomfort and earache.

Secondly, acid reflux from the stomach into the throat irritates the mucosa of the throat, causing inflammation and mild swelling of the mucosa of the throat. This reflux can worsen in the lying down positing for a prolonged period.

My suggestion to you is to change the posture frequently while on the sofa. Drink plenty of warm water, this will reduce the throat inflammation. If you have acid reflux or gastritis, you need to take proton pump inhibitors such as omeprazole or pantoperazole.

Hope this answers your query; I will be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon