Suffering from throat infection. Is it safe to take doxobid along with azithral 500?

ENT Specialist
Hi doctor, can doxobid be taken with Azithral 500?I suffer from throat infections frequently. I took antibiotics to cure my throat infection the week of 31st Dec 2012 when I got high fever to the order of 102 to 103 F, had pain in the left tonsil & was coughing. My doctor prescribed me Augmentin 625 as well as a cough syrup, a paracetamol & pan D. The medicine was a bit too high on my stomach I started getting vomiting & loose motions. On another doctor's prescription I switched from Augmentin to Azithral 500 mg. I got a relief from my throat infection as well as fever in about 3 days. Post this I had coughing on & off. In the week of 14th XXXXXXX 2013, when coughing became a bit too frequent & un-tolerable with itching in the throat I took an allegra 180 mg for 3 days & got a relief from my coughing. Again after two days I started coughing & saw an ENT this time on 19th XXXXXXX He gave me doxobid twice a day, levocitrizine once a day & ensoz once a day. It's just been a day of taking these medicines & I have again got fever to the order of 102 F. I feel pain in my throat & thus feel I should do another course of antibiotics like azithral to cure this. Please suggest if azithral can be taken with doxobid or not. Also, it would really help if you can suggest a long term solution to this problem or some appropriate test which would help us understand this condition better. Thanks in advance!
Posted Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 28 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. Get a throat examination done and a throat swab sent for bacterial culture and antibiotic sensitivity.

2. Doxobid (Doxofylline) and Azithral (Azithromycin) may be taken together.

3. Use a medicated gargle such as Betadine.

4. Sometimes the pain may be due to post viral inflammation, lymphoid hypertrophy, acid reflux or a post nasal drip (PND) . In such cases there will be no signs of an acute infection. Only supportive treatment is required.

5. How many days was each course of antibiotics? Switching antibiotics early or short courses tend to result in relapse of infections and antibiotic resistance.

6. Try a household remedy such as turmeric in warm milk at night.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.