Suffering from throat infection. Getting cold after taking amoxycilin. Any suggestion?

Sep 2012

I generally get throat infection once in 4-6 months, wherein I get pain swallowing the saliva or consuming food. If I do not take antibiotics this actually aggrevates the problem. I take amoxycillin composition like pulmoxyl, Amox, Amoxy, Amoxrite, wymox etc of 500mg and it actually gives me relief. However, I have observed that after taking this tablet I get cough due to irritation in the throat. Is it due to side effect of the tablet.
Posted Sun, 11 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 2 hours later
Firstly, the side effects of amoxycillin are - hyperactivity, maculopapular rash, gastrointestinal discomfort consisting of diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting, thrombocytopenia, leucopenia,urticaria, exfoliative dermatitis and many more.
But, cough is not a side effect of this drug.

The presence of cough may be due to
- Any expectorant syrup you take during illness.
- Formation of cough is also a normal part of disease progression. So, when cough is formed after taking the drug it seems to be as a side effect.

Summary - Formation of cough is not a side effect of amoxycillin group of drugs but it may be due to expectorant syrup or normal disease progression.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know if you have any more question.

Follow-up: Suffering from throat infection. Getting cold after taking amoxycilin. Any suggestion? 13 hours later
Thanks for the clarification Dr XXXXXXX Arindam. Appreciate your quick response.

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 5 minutes later

You are welcome.
If there are no further queries, please close this discussion. Your reviews are appreciated.