Suffering from thalassemia minor. HB electrophoresis test done. What does the value signify?

My friend gone for HB Electrophoresis test. Result is Haemoglobin (Adult) 97.5% and Hb A2 2.5 %. Just want to know, is she is suffering from Thalassemia-Minor. Her age is 31 yrs.
Posted Wed, 29 Aug 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Ioan Dorian OANA 2 days later

In adults, these hemoglobin molecules percentages are normal: Hb A: 95% to 98%; Hb A2: 2% to 3%.

So, the HB Electrophoresis test does not suggest that your friend is suffering from Thalassemia-Minor.

Persons with thalassemia minor have usually mild anemia, with slight lowering of the hemoglobin level in the blood, so please let me know how much was her hemoglobin level.

You should not worry anyway, because no treatment is necessary for thalassemia minor.

If you have any more queries, feel free to ask.

Dr. Dorian Oana MD, PhD