Suffering from terrible stomach aches and irritable bowel movement. How to get relief?

Hi, I have suffered from terrible stomach aches for most of my life, they are not specific to a situation and come intermittently. Sometimes after I eat and sometimes in stressful periods of time, but other times when I am experiencing no stress, just out of the blue. I have to run to the toilet when they happen, and I dread them happening because I will need to be near a toilet. They come on suddenly, over the course of about 20 minutes, and can last for hours. They are so painful. What could this be and how can I help them?
Posted Fri, 19 Oct 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 3 hours later
Hello Dear and thanks for posting the query
I have read your query in detail. These kinds of symptoms occur due to wrong bowel habits. It seems that you are suffering from Irritable Bowel Syndrome. This is a disease of unknown cause but certain precautions help you in getting to a normal bowel habits:
1. Eat fibre-rich foods such as fruits and vegetables like papaya, orange, cabbage, beans, asparagus etc.
2. Drink plenty of water.
3. Eat plenty of leafy vegetables and salads, diet which is low in fat and high in carbohydrates.
4. Develop the habit of bowel evacuation early morning every day.
5. Maintain good physical fitness to improve bowel function and help reduce stress.
7. Avoid smoking and alcoholism and also avoid drinking strong coffee/tea, soda, fried and spicy food.
8. Since many patients with irritable bowel syndrome report food intolerances, a food diary may help identify foods that seem to make your symptoms worse.

Hope this will help you. Write back if you have any further query. I will be happy to answer it.
Best Wishes
Dr. Kulbir Singh
Follow-up: Suffering from terrible stomach aches and irritable bowel movement. How to get relief? 22 hours later
Thank you for the quick response! Are there any gentle remedies that will calm these stomach aches when they happen?
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 1 hour later
Hello and thanks again for posting the query
You can take antispasmodic drugs in case of stomach aches. You can take these drugs 2-3 times a day as prescribed by your treating doctor, if get frequent stomach aches.
Best Wishes and have a healthy time. Write back if you have any other query.
Dr. Kulbir Singh