Suffering from tension headaches. Any complication?

Nov 2013

Ive been suffering from tension headaches for a while and one day I was sitting in a lecture, and I felt extreme tension in my head, like pushing inwards, then it felt like a lot of blood rush to my head and the tension loosened. I've had an mri since then for other reasons, and nothing seemed to show up in regards to that, only sinus problems. Could you possibly tell me what the rush of blood thing was, and if it in way could have affected my brain? Thanks
Posted Sat, 29 Dec 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 55 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that the rush of blood to the brain would not have any adverse effects on your brain.

Also, the fact that your MRI of the brain was normal, so, there is no need to worry.

Brain is a highly vascular organ, and about 10% of total blood flow may go to the brain. In several situations, this blood flow may increase also. These include anxiety, tension, excessive thinking, or doing any intense brain function. These are normal physiological responses and have no untoward or undesirable effects on brain or body.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist