Suffering from tb meningitis. Developed loss of vision. Will this be cured?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
my sister(20 years) is suffering from tb meningitis....recently she has developed loss of vision..how will she be able to see again properly??? pls sugest
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in Infections

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic,

In Tuberculous meningitis, the loss of vision may be due to optic nerve dysfunction which carries visual impulses from the eye to the brain.

The optic nerve dysfunction may be acute and transient due to pressure with brain edema like in initial phases.

This type of optic dysfunction will respond and vision may improve once the brain edema decreases by drugs and interventions.

But if optic atrophy develops due to prolonged optic nerve compression, the chances of proper vision is poor.

But the treating neurophysician is the best person to tell the outcome of neuro complications, so I advise you to discuss regarding this matter and clarify your concerns.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Suffering from tb meningitis. Developed loss of vision. Will this be cured? 9 hours later
i have uploded medical prescription .please check it

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 47 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for getting back.

I did not get the medical prescription you have uploaded along with this query.

Take technical help from the Healthcare Magic site to upload the prescription and any reports you have along with next query.

Awaiting for your response....

Regards.

Follow-up: Suffering from tb meningitis. Developed loss of vision. Will this be cured? 10 minutes later
again uploaded report...pls check

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 4 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Thank you for uploading scanned copy of the doctor prescription.

The prescription shows your sister is having Tuberculous meningitis with mild hydrocephalus, her present complaint of blurring of vision, advised anti tuberculous medication along with steroid to reduce brain edema and to prevent fibrous adhesion, and other supportive treatment.

Tablet Pyridoxine (Vitamin B6) can be added in prescribed dosage to her treatment plan after discussing with the neurophysician.

And take Eye specialist opinion for fundus examination as advised by your treating neurophysician.

Repeat neuroimaging like MRI brain or CT scan brain may be required to assess the progression of mild hydrocephalus if required. So be in regular follow up with the neurophysician.

Wish your sister a speedy recovery

Regards.