Suffering from swing in neck. Prescribed Vertin and Bilovas. Continue medication or go for scan?

Dear Doctor

I have been suffering from swing in my neck, for the past few months.
ENT doctor advised me to have Vertin 16mg & Bilovas for a month, if it persist, I can go
for a scan. I am having it for about 15 days. Still the problem persist. Should I continue
till another 15 days of medication or I should go for a scan.

Appreciate your advice.

Posted Sun, 23 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The most common reason for the problem you are having is issues in the inner ear. The inner ear is one of the parts of the body that is involved in keeping balance and preventing dizziness and vertigo (the feeling of movement or spinning).There are three main problems with the inner ear that can occur: (1) meniere's disease- this would come with ringing in the ear as well

(2) BPPV- these episodes lasts for a few seconds then stop, there are no abnormal sounds in the ear

(3) vestibular neuronitis- this would last for days , there may be a history of a cold or flu before

The scan would be to rule out any of the more unusual causes such as a mass in the brain. This is not as common as a problem with the inner ear.

If the feeling is worse then you can consider getting the CT scan done now. IF the the feeling is the same or a little better then you can consider waiting till the month is finished before having the scan done.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions