Suffering from stress and depression. How to overcome this problem?

i am XXXXXXX and i live in boston.I am making good money and my parents are happy ,I help my parents and sister and try to help poor people what ever i can.
I started my earlier life with lots of strugles and god has given me everything now.But still i am not happy or satisfied with what i get.what ever i buy or use i lose interest on that after 1 or 2 months.Like car,new dress,new items at home and even like to always want to make new friends .Everthing is boring me just with in a month.
I am not sure how to be happy with what i get,I did see may parents in homecoutry for 3 years,not sure that may be a cause my depression .Please help me to overcome this stress and how to live a happy life
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Depression
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 4 days later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

These materialistic things can never make one happy. One may think that I can be happy if I earn so much. After earning so much one will always look for some other higher number with more zeros next to it. A car or a new dress can make you happy temporarily. But as you said rightly it will not last long.

But giving a dress to a person who does not have one can make you happy. And this is the real happiness. Real happiness lies in making some one happy. Even if you cannot make every body happy the effort to make the maximum number happy gives you real happiness.

Forget about you happiness and be busy helping others. That will make you happy.

Happiness is a inside job. If you are determined to be happy you will be happy.

Thank God for all those good things you had. That will make you more happy.

Continue to ask further queries so that I can help you better.