Suffering from stress and anxiety. Developed post knee replacement. Risk of DVT and subsequent PE?

I am wondering if the DVT and subsequent PE I developed post knee replacement could have been caused or exacerbated by extreme mental stress and anxiety during that period?
Posted Tue, 14 Aug 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 hours later

Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question today.

The procedures that are most likely associated with a predisposition to forming blood clots post-operatively include gynecologic procedures, and orthopedic procedures. The reason you developed a blood clot was because of:

1. Injury to blood vessels that occurs during surgery
2. Slowing of blood in these same vessels that is sometimes the result of how the surgery is done
3. Immobility after the surgery

This might be solely related to the surgery, but you need to go to your primary doctor to have a full workup to determine if you have any other predisposition to blood clotting. In answer to your question, stress and anxiety did not directly lead to the blood clot unless those symptoms had you moving less.

I hope this adequately answers your question. If you have followup questions, please ask. Please take a moment to leave feedback!