Suffering from stomach rumbling and frequent bowel movements. Is this IBS?

Stomach rumbling, three bowel movements a day. very gassy at times. Not passing blood and no real dark stools. Is this IBS?
Posted Wed, 25 Jul 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

I would like to know more in order to come to a better conclusion.

1. Has the form of your stools changed recently ?
2. Since how long are you suffering from this problem?
3. Are you under stress recently? Do you smoke ? How many cups of coffee/ tea do you drink per day?
4. Any recent history of travel?

IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion, it means that other causes of bowel disturbance has to be ruled out before diagnosing it as IBS.

Please get back to me with the answers I am awaiting your rely

I wish you good health

Follow-up: Suffering from stomach rumbling and frequent bowel movements. Is this IBS? 2 hours later
The regular 2 to 3 bowel movements have been for 3-4 years but the gas and tummy rumbling has been for the past fortnight. I gave up smoking 12 months ago and have not relapsed since. I average 2 to 3 cups of coffee a day. My diet isn;t too bad. I am alot more aware of foods that will cause an upset stomach. It seems my stomach is upset in the mornings and after lunch usually settles right down. As a rule I never have a bowel movement in the afternoon or evening. Sometimes the stools will be slightly flattened but normally they are right. I do sometimes suffer from anxiety. This may be the underlying cause but I'm hoping its nothings worse!
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 14 hours later

Thanks for replying in detail. It has helped me.

2 bowel movements a day is normal and it is not a cause for concern,
However rumbling tummy indicates that there might be an infection of the bowel is more likely than IBS, the ideal thing in such conditions would be a course of antibiotics like ciprofloxacin and tinidazole for a period of 5 days and also pro biotics like sporolac (lacto bacillius) for a period of 7 days, please ask your doctor prescription.

I hope I have answered your query, please accept my answer if you have no further queries

I wish you good health