Suffering from stomach problems and heart burn. Noticed blood in stools. Guide

I am 68 and in good health have had stomach problems since i was a kid for the last year i have had heartburn and excessive gas I have a great appetite and I have noticed some mucos and a little blood which does not seem to be mixed with stool I am panicking about this I have been under a lot of stress and have had gastritis a few times
Posted Mon, 3 Jun 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 36 minutes later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is understandable to be concerned.

Mucus is secreted by the intestines and it is normal to find a small amount of mucus in the stool. If it is seen in increasing quantities for prolonged period of time then it may indicate inflammation of the intestines.

Though the blood may not indicate any serious problems with the stool it needs to be investigated further.
Blood in stool can be due to benign causes such as (1) straining, (2) hemorrhoids, (3)diverticular disease ( in this condition there is outpouching of the intestines) (4) viral or bacterial infection (5) inflammatory bowel disease or (6) polyps in the intestine.

It can also be related to more serious disease of the intestine such as cancer. This has to be ruled out first. This would require an assessment by your doctor that would include physical examination, full blood count and ESR ( detects any inflammation in the body) as well as imaging tests such as colonoscopy or barium enema.

Your symptoms may be related to a benign condition but it would be best to visit your doctor for an assessment to rule serious disease.

I hope this helps, feel free ask any other questions