Suffering from stomach pain with burning sensation and constipation. What could this me?

General Surgeon
Been suffering with pain in stomach for last 2months, it's a dull pain and sometimes burning sensation, this has also been accompanied by constipation and last two bowel movement have just been a brown mucus. I have been to the doctor who did an external exam of stomach found no masses or lumps. Will go back for follow up. I'm very worried of what it could be.
Posted Mon, 26 Nov 2012 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Depending of the pain location it can be peptic ulcer (upper abdominal pain, especially after a meal, sometimes associated with chest burning), gallstones (can be similar to peptic ulcer, however pain radiates to the back), groin, burning when urinating, frequent urinating), diverticulitis (lower left abdominal pain, sometimes associated with bloating, constipations), pregnancy, colon cancer (associated with blood or mucus in stool, weight lost, constipations/diarrheas), colon polyps (similar to cancer symptoms), IBS (can have all mentioned symptoms).
Depending of the other symptoms you should have abdominal ultrasound performed, full blood work with liver and pancreas enzymes, urine analysis. Endoscopy and colonoscopy might be necessary as well.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Suffering from stomach pain with burning sensation and constipation. What could this me? 13 hours later
Hi, Thank you for your reply. The pain is on the left hand side sometimes right just above the hip and also under belly button. There is no blood in stool, the mucus only appeared 2 days ago and very loose stool, constipation has been on and off for some weeks now. I have no other symptoms. The pain isnt intense just uncomfortable with the burning sensation and only happens when i need to go to the toilet.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 11 hours later

Thank you for the query.

So the most probable reason of your symptoms is diverticulitis of colon.This disease is closely related to constipations. Ovarian cyst or inflammation is also possible.
I suggest you to have abdominal ultrasound, full blood work and visit gynecologist for transvaginal ultrasound. If no findings in this tests colonoscopy should be performed.

Hope this will help.